Recordings, video, and score available under each work.
Feel free to contact me with further questions.
Mira Bella | kalimba and live electronics (2013)
“Mira Bella” refers to the brand of Dominican cigars once housed in the body of the instrument for which it was written, and all sounds in the piece come from the instrument itself. The instrument’s creator, an artist based in Baltimore, began making kalimbas as gifts for his wife.
Student Composition Forum, Bowling Green State University, 26 September 2013
Pratītya | singing bowl and live electronics/video (2013)
The Buddhist concept of "pratītyasamutpāda," translated as "dependent arising," refers to the interdependence of everything in the universe. The first part of the word, from which this piece takes its name, means "dependence," and the live video and audio processing is dependent on input from the bowl itself, and it grows organically from the bowl's single tone before collapsing back into it. Note: the video is meant to be projected on or behind the performer during performance.
- Student Composition Forum, Bowling Green State University, 19 December 2013
Compass | iPhone and live electronics (2011)
Compass began as an experiment in harnessing the iPhone’s powerful sensors to control musical elements over a wireless network. The performer can control several elements in a custom interface on the iPhone’s multi-touch screen. The built-in compass sends a loop around the performance space as the device turns, and different gestures such as shaking the device trigger the appearance of other elements.
Performances and Awards
- Music Academy at Zagreb, Croatia, sponsored by the US Embassy, 5 November 2013
- LaSalle College of the Arts, Singapore, 19 October 2013
- Capela Santa Maria (Bienal musica hoje), Curitiba, Brazil, 21 August 2013
- Private salon concert, Sea Ranch, CA, 20 July 2013
- CLOUDedge experimental media concert, A&FW Gallery, Kansas City MO, 1 June 2012
- 2012 SEAMUS National Conference, Lawrence University (Appleton, WI), 10 February 2012
- Winner, Allen Strange Award 2012 (SEAMUS)
- Degree recital, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 6 November 2011
- Lincoln Park Apple Store (with Fifth House Ensemble), Chicago, IL, 11 October 2011
- KU Endowment Board of Trustees Annual Meeting, 30 September 2011
- Electro-Acoustic Composition class recital, Lawrence, KS 25 April 2011